Thursday, January 28, 2010

Brick Stitched Panel


I started making this as a cushion cover with a deadline but quickly realised that there was no way it was going to be finished in time. A whole year later (almost to the day) I finally finished it. I have decided that it will instead of a cushion be the brustfleck for a Cranach gown I am working on.

The design came from here: http://www.wymarc.com/asoot/asoot.php?show=germanPatterns and it is Pattern 4, except I changed the colours. It is stitched in cotton thread on 32 count linen fabric. The type of stitching is called German Brick Stitch and consists of long stitches of varying length - spanning either 2, 4 or 6 threads. Other extant examples of this kind of stitch are on cushion covers and bags.

One thing I like about this pattern is that the extant example wasn't made into anything, simply a rectangular panel. My imagination likes to think it might have been used the same way as I'm planning to use it - as decoration on a German gown. I may add a pearl or some other bead to the centres of the crosses to bling it up a bit.

1 comment: